Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Is this Right?

Philippines pulling troops from Iraq

I (as much as possible, having no idea of what it is like) sympathize with the family of Angelo dela Cruz, and share their hope that he will be released safely. However, I cannot believe that a nation state is allowing terrorists to dictate foreign policy through hostage taking. Granted, the Philippine's had scheduled a withdraw for August 20th anyways (from what I understand.. I read it somewhere), so this is just pulling out early to save a life. In this isolated incident it even makes sense to me. However, the world is not full of isolated incidents. I'm worried about the dangerous precedent that this could set. As they see that this works, terrorists will simply take more and more hostages. Saving this one man by pulling out early could condemn many others to the same horrible fate.

Please pray for his safety, and release or rescue.

Update: Here's an article that fleshes out the implications a little better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home